In September of 2012, I moved my writing home to a new space titled Fostering Love at Home. I'd love for you to join me there!
There are so many ways to support orphans all around the world. No matter who you are, you can serve orphans in a practical way. Here are just a few ideas:
- There are so many organizations that exist to provide for the needs of children around the world. Some of these children are orphaned, and some are living in poverty. Here are a few links to organizations like this: World Vision, Compassion International, and VisionTrust.
- VisionTrust shared on their site that they have some needs right now for children. Here are some things they listed: Bible $6 each: 1,814 children are in need of a Bible in their own language, Milk $4 per gallon: 21,463 gallons of milk are needed each month, Child’s Gift: Send your love this Christmas by giving $25 for a Christmas meal and present.
- You could contact your county’s child protective services and buy clothes for a child at the beginning of the school year, or buy them gifts at Christmas time. Or if you have children, you could even start a “pen pal” system with a foster child and your own children.
- HopeMongers is an organization that connects people who want to help with people who have a project that needs financial support. On the site there are many projects available that you can donate just $10 to help cover the costs. One of the current projects is a community playground in Uganda that still needs $15,550.
- Shoes for Orphan Souls is a great organization that you can partner with to donate shoes and socks for orphans and at-risk children in the United States and around the world.
- 18,000 children die every day from starvation and other preventable diseases. The Global Aid Network has a partnership with food suppliers to provide meals to children for only ten cents!
And…this list is just a starting point! Do you have more ideas of how to support orphans around the world? Please, share in the comments!